What is lead poisoning? Lead is a naturally occurring metal that has been used to make many products. Lead poisoning occurs when too much lead gets into the body.
How do I know if my child has lead poisoning? A simple bood test is the only way to know for sure.
Are there any signs and symptoms of lead poisoning?Often, there are no visible signs and symptoms. Children can have lead poisoning and not look or act sick.
What are the effects of exposure to lead? Even a small amount of lead can be dangerous to children, especially if inhaled or swallowed. Some effects of exposure are: decreased ability to learn, behavior problems, anemia, hearing damage, speech and language delays, seizures, comas, and death.
Who should be tested for lead? It is recommended that children age 6 months to 6 years, children living a home built before 1978 that has peeling or chipping paint, and children that live in a home with adults that come into contact with lead in the workplace be tested.
Do you provide lead testing? No, we do not provide testing at this time.
Can you come to my home and do an inspection? Yes, an Environmental Health Specialist can perform an inspection of your home for a fee of $60.00. Please call 407-521-2630 for an appointment.