>Environmental Health >Food Hygiene >Food Safety >Produce
You can reduce and often eliminate residues if they are present on fresh fruits and vegetables by following these simple tips:
- Add perishable fruits and vegetables to your cart toward the end of your shopping trip, so that they remain cool.
- Avoid picking bruised, shriveled, damaged or overripe produce.
- Wash fresh fruits and vegetables with water and scrub with a vegetable brush when appropriate.
- Throw away the outer leaves of leafy vegetables such as lettuce and cabbage.
- Peel and cook when appropriate, although some nutrients and fiber are lost when produce is peeled.